Monday, October 3, 2016

Remembering, Exploring, Sharing: Special Populations titles

So I was thinking about books for Special Populations: Students with Disabilities, and I realized I forgot a book that I read with my Tween Book Club up in Illinois - it was an award nominee, state-level student choice award - and I didn't expect to enjoy it, because it was written as a combination poetry and diary entry format. But I did.

The book was Shark Girl by Kelly Bingham(2010). It was based on a true story - the teenaged surfer girl who lost her arm to a shark attack, Bethany Hamilton of Soul Surfer - but differentiated enough to be similar only. It described the mourning process and the recovery process for the loss of a limb, and how it was more than the loss of a limb, but also the loss of the life you expected to have. How it changed who you were at the core, and the strength it takes to reconcile that change with your previous self's dreams and ambitions.

It has a sequel, a continuation of the story of the recovery and rebuilding process; it is called Formerly Shark Girl(2014). I've not read it, but the initial story was strong enough that I would purchase the follow up title for my collection as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment