Thursday, December 1, 2016

Magazines for kids

I grew up with Cricket, and loved it, although it has gotten distinctly sadder (thinner, less fullsome, less magazine, less body) over the years. It was an awesome lit mag when I was younger

I've seen Ranger Rick, we got Highlights (outgrew that quickly), My Big Backyard was a nice one...

Zoobooks were fabulous and always a favorite - a lot of different levels of reading were contained in that one magazine, and I can remember reading it before and after trips to the STL Zoo. That is one I would consider getting for nieces and nephews, not just the library. I like that there are leveled versions of it as well - it lets the magazine grow with the kid.

New Moon Girls is a new one for me, and I'd like to put my hands on a copy before I ordered it, but from what I've seen online, I'm impressed. I like the positive msg it focuses on, and the way it lightheartedly encourages girls to be themselves. It's one I am considering ordering for my nieces, ages 10 and 12, since it is for girls ages 8-14. I think it looks like a great resource, and the book reviews were well written, the articles for parents and adult-allies of strong girls looked good, and it really isn't overly pricey (I've wasted 40 bucks on worse before - heck, going to see a bad movie costs that much these days). Looks like a  bi-monthly publication (once every two months), so 6 issues a year, with the choice for e-copies or paper copies, at about $7 an issue isn't too bad.

Sports Illustrated Kids seems to still be going strong.


No comments:

Post a Comment